I hadn’t any idea what surprises the day might have in store for me. The rains were here again and it was a clear morning sky outside. Lying on my back, a copy of Pastor Adeboye’s Open Heaven lay open across my bare chest. The day’s devotional had one clear message to wit: in the multitude of counsel, there is safety. I laid half asleep in part meditation waiting for a call to the family altar. It was the first day of work after a lengthy Easter and Election holiday, but no one in the house seemed to be any hurry to be roused. Even then, we didn’t begin to do any chores until the morning devotions were done. The creaky noise of the door to my uncle’s bedroom was the summons that all were to gather in the living room. I helped the three boys out of bed with great disaffection on their parts. Sleeping into the early mornings was a dividend of their holiday. They stayed up late playing video games and only had to catch up on sleep on their knees during the family devotion.
My phone began to vibrate and ring as soon as I knelt down to pray. It was an unknown caller and curiosity got the better part of me. When I picked the call, the male voice on the other end of the line wanted me to guess who he was. When I answered in the negative, the caller insisted on his guessing game only offering a clue that he was a friend in London. After a few seconds of brain juggle, I place the voice with a face. It was Edwin Egha, a former employee of my father. He did the school runs for my brother and I when our father was too busy back in the days. Edwin had migrated to the United Kingdom a few years ago. The last time I heard from him, he was on a working visit to Lagos while I was in faraway Yola on National Service. After exchanging a few spirited pleasantries over the phone, he began to unfold the heart of his call. Edwin wanted me to get in touch with one Patrick Obi, his friend who was visiting Nigeria from London. According to him, he had sent me a Nokia Phone, a Wrist Watch and a sum of money through the emissary. It was good news to my ears. I thanked him profusely and returned to the living room to join the devotee of family members; my mind on the gift.
I couldn’t wait to put a call through to the emissary. I asked my uncle to give me a little handout for the purpose of making calls. Patrick Obi said he was in town to attend a funeral in Adavi, Kogi State which is not too far from my location in Abuja. According to him, he would be in the capital city later in that day en route to the UK. There was something else. He was hard pressed for time and he had to procure a document on behalf of Edwin, he shared with me. He therfore wanted me to get authorization from Edwin so he could release the sum of £1000 to me, part of which would cover the expenses for procuring a certain International Alien Immigration Permit Form. The said document, according to him would cost exactly £500 when converted in the local currency; and the balance was the cash gift Edwin sent to me. Edwin confirmed the story and said he would be very grateful if I could be of help, as his continued stay abroad depended on it. I was supposed to liaise with one Benjamin Lucas based in Kaduna whose firm; Royal Company Nigeria Limited traded the document. On request, Mr. Lucas confirmed he could send same by courier in two hours’ time if he got the fee. He made it clear to me that he had just two of the documents left, and one of it had already been booked by another “desperate” customer. Mr. Obi suggested I raised the money from my end as I would be fully reimbursed. All would be fine as soon as we meet later that day, he assured. Edwin also concurred to this arrangement. I knew it would be difficult raising the sum of £500 as everyone was just coming out of a lengthy work-free holiday and I made my thoughts known to both of them. However, time was of the essence and I had to do something.
I decided to raise the issue first with my uncle. When I confirmed that I knew Edwin well, he put a call through to an Immigration officer whom he said could be of help. The officer’s reply said the Alien Immigration Form only applied to foreigners who wanted to work in Nigeria. When my uncle relayed this piece of information to Edwin, he suddenly became very defensive. He said he didn’t want his information to be leaked to the local Immigration officers as he only needed the document for the purpose of shipping goods down to Nigeria. My suspicions were on high alert as Edwin reacted further like a lion when it is cornered. This was the hallmark of scams: the victim must never share the “secret” with any unwilling party. I made Edwin realize there was little I could do to “help” if he wouldn’t accept the alternative we were offering.
I wasn’t surprised by the phony emissary’s response when I called him later that day. He sounded depressed and said he was proceeding to Lagos to catch another flight since I couldn’t procure the document. The game was up and I didn’t bother asking about the other gifts and the One Thousand Pounds bait!
No comments:
Post a Comment